Frequently Asked Questions About Experiential Learning Certificates


 A certificate indicates formal recognition for completing an experiential learning program. Each program has a different focus:

  • Arts Engagement Certificate
  • Service Learning Certificate
  • Entrepreneurship Certificate
  • Professional Selling Certificate
  • Global Awareness Program
  • Leadership Engagement Certificate

Here are a few of many:

  • Gain experience in applying your academic knowledge outside the classroom.
  • Obtain KU recognition with an official notation on your transcript.
  • Emphasize educational engagement and applied experiences on professional and academic credentials.
  • Practice articulating your experiential engagement at KU.
  • Explore options for potential majors and future careers.
  • Pursue interests outside of or complementary to your major.

Each certificate has its own requirements, but there are common components in all certificate programs including:

  • Academic Coursework (at least six hours)
  • Approved Educational Experiences (outside the classroom)
  • Reflection

To find out more about a specific certificate's requirements, visit the program's website or contact the certificate's coordinator.

An approved educational experience is an activity that applies your academic knowledge to related hands-on experiences with a specific focus.

Experiential learning certificate programs are only open to undergraduate students, with the exception of the Entrepreneurship Certificate. Graduate students interested in registering for an Entrepreneurship Certificate should contact Charlotte Tritch at

Nothing! All programs are FREE. Some OPTIONAL events may require a fee, such as those at the Lied Center or KU Theatre (which also offer student discounts).

An experiential learning certificate requires at least six credit hours and includes approved experiential activities while a minor usually consists of 18 credit hours. Minors do not necessarily require hands-on experiential learning.

No, professional certifications allow one to legally engage in certain professional activities, such as a certification from the Kansas Fire & Rescue Training Institute School.


You must earn a “C” grade (2.0 GPA) or better for each course to count toward all certificate programs.

Yes, a class that fulfills a requirement for your major/minor can also be counted toward a certificate. If you are unsure of how a class might fit in with your major, speak with your academic advisor.

Registration and Completion

All undergraduate students enrolled at KU. The Entrepreneurship Certificate is only open to non-business majors. The majority of the experiential learning certificates (Arts Engagement, Entrepreneurship, Leadership Engagement, Professional Selling, Research Experience and Service Learning) are open to degree-seeking students only.

Visit Register for an Experiential Learning Certificate to learn more about registering for a certificate.

Although incomplete components may show on your degree progress report (DPR), you will not receive an incomplete status of any kind on your official records. Only completed certificates will be represented on your transcript. If you would still like a certificate removed from your DPR, you can email

You have four years from the time you first register for the program or until you graduate from KU (whichever one comes first).

You apply online through Enroll & Pay. View instructions on completing the application process on the Student Information System’s website. 

A.  The deadline to apply to graduate from a certificate in any semester can be found on the Office of the University Registar's calendar as "Undergraduate Application for Graduation Deadline."

E-mail the corresponding certificate coordinator your graduation application request.

Certificate notations are added to academic transcripts the same day degrees post to transcripts. You can find specific dates for each semester on the Office of the University Registrar's calendar as "Degrees post to transcripts."