Arts and Engagement Events
Tips on Attending Arts Events
Here are some general tips for attending arts events:
- Arrive a few minutes early to find a place to sit if you are attending a lecture or performance. In some cases (such as certain theatre performances), late admittance is not permitted.
- Silence your cell phone before the lecture or performance begins.
- Double-check the hours. Some museums or galleries are closed to the public on Mondays (or a different weekday).
- Look up more information about the guest speaker or artist before attending an event by Google searching the name and visiting any relevant websites.
- Pick up programs, handouts, and flyers when available for helpful information about the nature of the performance, guest speaker, or artist.
- Draw on your knowledge and life experience and try to make connections with content of the lecture, performance, exhibition, etc.
- Be open to what the experience has to offer you.
Most arts events offered at the University of Kansas will count toward the Arts Engagement Certificate. Here is a general list of arts venues and types of arts events that can be count toward your certificate:
- All KU theatre performances
- All performances and art-related talks at the Lied Center & master classes
- All exhibitions, performances, and art related talks at Spencer Museum of Art
- All exhibitions, performances, and art related talks at Nelson Atkins
- All School of Music events
- Senior recitals, thesis exhibitions, and student showcases
- Visiting artists and art-related lectures on campus (e.g. at The Commons, Kansas Union, Hall Center, departmental guest artists, etc.)
- Optional, hands-on workshops offered by participating Arts Engagement Departments
- Film screenings with discussions
- Artist talks, exhibitions, and theatre, music, and dance performances at the Lawrence Arts Center
- Art Lectures at the Lawrence Public Library
- Artist talks and exhibitions at the Student Union Gallery in the Kansas Union
- All exhibitions at the Art and Design Building Gallery
- Final Fridays (Lawrence) or First Fridays (Kansas City) are fine to attend for visual art; however, you need to write about a specific work of art or exhibition.
During the COVID-19 pandemic, many arts events listed above have been offered virtually. These events are eligible to be counted toward your Arts Engagement Certificate requirements. If you have questions about whether or not an event can count, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org