Leadership Lawrence Class Session Info
KU students are invited by LL to fully participate in one class session of their choice! The cost of attending the session will be fully covered. Leadership Lawrence class sessions happen monthly from October through April of the following year. Each day long class session covers a specific topic of community interest. Classes happen monthly from 7:15 AM- 5:30 PM. There is still room for student participants during the following Spring 2018 LL class sessions:
- Gain knowledge of health in our community, including physical health, mental health and overall wellness.
- Introduce the class to a variety of health systems in the community, how they work together and where there are gaps or overlaps in services.
- Gain an understanding of the fiscal impact of health services and person wellness on the community.
- Identify the variety of recreational opportunities that exist in Lawrence and Douglas County
- Identify the challenges of meeting the community health needs of Lawrence and Douglas County
- Recognize the importance of comprehensive wellness, both personal and community
- Gain knowledge of the variety of media outlets in Lawrence and Douglas County.
- Evaluate current issues in our community focusing on the idea of civility in communication.
- Understand the basic tenets of media communications, including the digital environment.
- Learn the importance of crisis communications planning.
- Understand the role and responsibility of a media consumer.
- Gain knowledge of the economic opportunities and challenges in Lawrence and Douglas County.
- Evaluate how Education, Arts, Media, Social Services, Health Care, Civic Involvement, Government and Business impact and are impacted by economic development in Lawrence and Douglas County.
- Determine the fiscal impact of incentives to the stakeholders.
- Understand the three legs of economic development in Lawrence and Douglas County: Recruitment, Retention/Expansion and Entrepreneurship.
- Develop an understanding of the variety of businesses in the community and the importance of buying local.