Leadership Lawrence Class Session Info
KU students are invited by LL to fully participate in one class session of their choice! The cost of attending the session will be fully covered. Leadership Lawrence class sessions happen monthly from October through April of the following year. Each day long class session covers a specific topic of community interest. Classes happen monthly from 7:15 AM- 5:30 PM. There is still room for student participants during the following Spring 2018 LL class sessions:
- Gain knowledge of the Social Service opportunities and challenges in Lawrence and Douglas County.
- Develop an understanding of the human services available in Lawrence and Douglas County.
- Identify the challenges of meeting the human service needs in Lawrence and Douglas County.
- Introduce the class to the wide variety of human services agencies available to residents of Lawrence and Douglas County.
- Gain knowledge of the variety of media outlets in Lawrence and Douglas County.
- Evaluate current issues in our community focusing on the idea of civility in communication.
- Understand the basic tenets of media communications, including the digital environment.
- Learn the importance of crisis communications planning.
- Understand the role and responsibility of a media consumer.
- Gain knowledge of the economic opportunities and challenges in Lawrence and Douglas County.
- Evaluate how Education, Arts, Media, Social Services, Health Care, Civic Involvement, Government and Business impact and are impacted by economic development in Lawrence and Douglas County.
- Determine the fiscal impact of incentives to the stakeholders.
- Understand the three legs of economic development in Lawrence and Douglas County: Recruitment, Retention/Expansion and Entrepreneurship.
- Develop an understanding of the variety of businesses in the community and the importance of buying local.